How to set up Drive Rotation / Swapping (RDX or External USB drives)
Last Updated: Sep 09, 2015 02:59PM CEST
With Altaro VM Backup, you can set up drive rotation/swapping as your offsite copy location. To do so, please follow the steps below:
- Before you proceed, ensure you have one fixed drive/location configured as your Local or On-site backup location. This should be a location that remains connected at all times (separate to the set of rotated drives you will be using for your offsite location)
- Open the Altaro Backup management console and go to Setup > Backup Locations
- Click Add Offsite Location:
- Choose the Drive Rotation/Swap option and click Next
- Click the button shown below to add a drive to the rotation:
- Choose to add a Physical drive or Network Share to your rotation, then click Next
(For RDX cartridges, select Physical Drive)
- Choose the Type of Location you wish to add.
For a Physical drive, just select the Drive letter and the subfolder (optional) you wish to add
For a Network share, enter the UNC path and credentials
Then click Add
- Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 to add further drives to the rotation set
Note: Altaro Backup recognizes drives by their volume serial number, so you can add multiple drives which have the same letter, Altaro will still treat them as different drives if they have unique volume serial numbers.
- Once drives have been added, you can use the Up/Down arrows to adjust the priority of your drives in the rotation as shown below:
Note: The drive with the highest priority that is currently connected will be used as the active Offsite Location.
- Click Finish and you will see the rotation set added as an offsite location as shown below. To add or remove further drives to the rotation set you can click the Edit (pencil) icon.
- Lastly, select the VMs you wish to assign to this rotation and Drag and Drop them from the VM list on the left into the newly created Drive Rotation, then click to complete.
- Once done, either start an Offsite Copy manually from the Virtual Machines > Take Offsite copy menu, or wait for your next Scheduled Offsite Copy job