- .NET Framework 4 or higher is required
- It requires a new port to be opened on the AOS, specifically for Replication Data Transfer - 35120
- [Hyper-V] The Altaro Offsite Server must be installed on a Windows server OS which is the same as the one where production VMs are running. Below you can find a list supported OS's that you can replicate to:
Host OS Supported Replication Altaro Offsite Server OS 2012 to 2012 2012R2 to 2012R2 2016 to 2016 2019 to 2019
- [VMware] The host added to the Altaro Offsite Server must be the same OS as the source host being replicated from. Below you can find a list supported OS's that you can replicate to:
Host OS Supported Replication Host OS 5.5 to 5.5 6.0 to 6.0 6.5 to 6.5 6.7 to 6.7
- [VMware] On ESXi hosts you will see the replicated VMs in the vSphere console when you enable replication for your VMs. It is imperative that you do not boot the VM outside of the Altaro Offsite Server. The replicated VM is fully managed by Altaro and will essentially end up discarding any changes made if booted outside of the Altaro Offsite Server.
Replicated VMs are NOT to be:
- manually started from vSphere (outside of Altaro Offsite Server)
- deleted from vSphere
- manual merging/management of disks/snapshots
Setting up Replication is actually really easy, however here's a quick guide on how to do so. Obviously before you start, ensure that your primary backup location has already been set, then proceed to enabling replication.
- Firstly, you will need to add an Altaro Offsite Server in your [Backup Locations] screen. This will be used as your Replication target. If you're new to setting this up, you can find more instructions on this here.
Simply click on [Add Offsite Location] and then put in the Server Address, Username and Password (which you've just created) and click Finish to add the Altaro Offsite Server.
So at this stage, you should have an Altaro Offsite Server added, like below:
Note: In order to set up Replication, there is no need to Drag & Drop VM's to this location. That is only required for taking offsite backups to this AOS.
In fact you're able to set up Replication and Offsite Backups to 2 completely different locations.
- Then go to the [Replication] menu option.
Then simply click on [Enable Replication] next to the VM of your choosing.
- Next, you will need to choose the Replication Altaro Offsite Server for your VMs to the DR site. Select the one you'd like from the drop-down menu and click on [Enable Replication]