STEP 1: Uninstall your current installation
All of your settings and previous backups will be kept
Before upgrading to V7.6 you must first uninstall previous versions of Altaro VM Backup 7.x. Uninstall Altaro VM Backup from the Windows Programs and Features screen or by running the command removealtaro
Simply download v7.6 using the download link below, and run the installer.
(The V7.6 offsite Altaro Offsite Server installation file can be downloaded here)
The installation of V7.6 will NOT require a reboot (unless a previous reboot is already pending from some other installation).
Important Notes About the Upgrade!
- The Microsoft .NET 4.x Framework is now the minimum version supported. This is included in Windows Server 2012 or higher but needs to be installed manually on Windows Server 2008 R2 which do not have the latest SP updates applied.
- Two new ports are required. 35221 is used by the Hyper-V Hosts Agents when communicating with Altaro VM Backup. While 35106 is required for VMware 6.5 backup and restore operations.
- The Central Management Console that was previously included in the Management Console, has been redesigned as a basic Connection Manager. The new Cloud Management Console (CMC) should be used instead for central management and monitoring of multiple Altaro VM Backup Installations.
- The new CBT v2 now keeps a Shadow Copy per Volume after Backups complete, until the next Shadow Copy for that Volume is taken. Therefore even when Altaro VM Backup is idle a Shadow Copy for each Volume is left active.
- Hardware VSS providers are no longer supported in 7.6 and the standard Windows provider will be used instead.
- Enabling CDP means that Backups are running continuously throughout the day which can impact the Hypervisors.
- When Backups are running and Deduplication is enabled the Altaro Deduplication Service uses a higher amount of Memory.
- Disk IO and CPU activity are also increased during Backups.
- To reduce impact on the Hypervisors only enable CDP on Virtual Machines that require small RPOs and set the required frequency accordingly.
- Granular Restore on backups taken with V6 and older is no longer available. A Full Restore can be performed instead.
- V7.6 is backwards compatible with 7.5.x Altaro Offsite Server and newer.
CDP – Continuous Data Protection
With Altaro VM Backup 7.6 users can switch from scheduled daily backups to running continuous backups. The default maximum frequency is one backup every hour per VM, but this can be increased to one backup every 5 minutes.
Grandfather-Father-Son (GFS) Archiving
The Retention Policy has remained the same in 7.6. However, with the introduction of GFS Archival instead of deleting all old versions, it can be enabled to keep Weekly, Monthly and Yearly Backups outside of the Retention Policy.
CBT v2 for Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2
As from version 7.6, Altaro VM backup has revamped the way we perform Changed Block Tracking (CBT) for Hyper-V virtual machines running on Windows Server 2012 and 2012R2. Clink the link for more information.
Concurrent Retention, Restore, Backup and Offsite Copy operations on the same Virtual Machine
In previous Altaro VM Backup Versions only one operation can be performed on a Virtual Machine at the same time. From 7.6 and on wards, retention, restores, backups and offsite copies can be done concurrently.
As always our support team are here to assist if you have any trouble during the upgrade, so please feel free to get in touch if you need us! Our contact details are at the bottom of this page.